Zucchini, locally called “Kousa”, is commonly found in many Egyptian dishes. This is my favorite Kousa dish, a Zucchini Stew with ground beef. Kousa bil lahma el Mafrouma.
This recipe is very easy to make in big batches, and freezes very well. The added dried chickpeas give it more texture and nuttiness. Make this alongside some rice and you have a complete meal!
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes (or about ½ kilo fresh tomatoes pureed)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 1 small onion sliced
- ½ kg Ground beef
- 1 ½ kg zucchini, cut into circles
- 200 gm dried split chickpeas, soaked for 30 mins approx
- 1 large carrot diced
- Salt and black pepper
- Brown the meat in a tablespoon of oil
- Add in the garlic, onion, pepper and salt, mix with the meat and cook until fragrant
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, then add the vegetables (zucchini, carrots and chickpeas).
- Pour about 2 cups of water and the tomato paste (optional) and allow to cook on med/high heat for 45 mins.
Are you a Zucchini lover? Or do you avoid it like the plague?